March was a busy month and April looks to be even busier! The weather has been a bit interesting. The random snow days and alternating days of heat and cold remind me of home. But now it’s April and I would very much like it to stop snowing now, though the extra water makes for some great river running!
We left on Friday the 29th of March for our long drive to Dillsboro, NC for the ACA Collegiate Down River Racing Nationals. Though it was beautiful when we left Roanoke, it’s a good thing that we all thought to bring our warmer gear too. As soon as we made it to the summit of the North Carolina Scenic Byway on the way to Asheville, we were surrounded by snow. Once we got to our campground in Dillsboro, it was only rain. We set up tents and made a late dinner before turning in and doing our best to rest and stay warm. Race day dawned cloudy, but the rain stopped before we unloaded boats at the put-in.
My parents had flown in from Wyoming to visit and see the races since they never got to see me in Paris! I loved seeing them! I’d also like to thank my father for the photos.
The river was running fast and made for good racing. All members of the team made two runs down the river, and also a relay run. I had a tandem run with my longtime canoe buddy Shep, and then I made my solo kayak run. I was also chosen as the anchor leg of the relay, which was a huge honor. Sage passed off the kayak and the paddle, the race equivalent of the baton, and I made the final flat water sprint to the finish. It was so much fun!
It turned into a beautiful day, the sky turned blue, and the sun came out. We ended up fourth in the nation and the returning members can’t wait until next year!
We had so many top ten finishes with Sage being 2nd and 3rd in her two individual runs. Our first-years Devon & Sam placed fourth in the Co-Ed Tandem Canoe, our highest placing ever in a co-ed event at a race.
- Sage Otto ’13 – 3rd, Women’s Kayak
- Sadie Giles ’13 – 7th, Women’s Kayak
- Jentry Campbell ’15 – 9th, Women’s Kayak
- Sam Hopkins ’16 – 11th, Women’s Kayak
- Devon Dovgan ’16 – 12th, Women’s Kayak
- Jessie Sheperd ’13 – 16th, Women’s Kayak
- Gabi Pendleton ’15 – 17th, Women’s Kayak
- Sage Otto ’13 – 2nd, Women’s Solo Canoe
- Carmella Glazier ’15 – 4th, Women’s Solo Canoe
- Brittany Gardner ’13 – 7th, Women’s Solo Canoe
- Devon Dovgan ’16 & Sam Hopkins ’16 – 4th, Tandem Canoe
- Sadie Giles ’13 & Carmella Glazier ’15 – 9th, Tandem Canoe
- Jessie Sheperd ’13 & Jentry Campbell ’15 – 10th, Tandem Canoe
If you’re interested in racing or in HOP in general, send me an email if you’d like to chat!